Sunday, 31 August 2014

The Hill


Lykavitos definitely stands out (more like, sticks out) in otherwise flattish Athens. My beloved road cycling was the first event on my schedule, and of course I positioned myself on the steepest part of the loop, hoping for pure excitement. I would not be disappointed.

As the loops passed, there was plenty of time for a selfie with Jan Ullrich...


...and a great shot of Erik Zabel, one of my all-time favourites:


But the really magical moment came when I witnessed Paolo Bettini's explosive charge. Yes, one of the most decorated cyclists of all time, deciding the biggest race of his career before my own eyes.


Now you need to realize the eventual winner needed 5 hours and 41 minutes to complete the race, so to experience this very moment needed a combination of immaculate planning and incredible luck. Mostly the latter!

No comments:

Post a Comment